Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Here comes the Harvest!

All the hard work is beginning to pay off...with more work!  This is my favorite time of year, canning, making kraut, stuffing the cellar full of all the good stuff the garden is producing. 

Cucumbers and hungarian hot peppers are keeping me busy.  I've got two gallons of sour pickles put up and am reving me engines in anticipation of an afternoon of bread and butter pickles.  The pickled peppers turned out just like my grandmother's (sigh of relief).  75 peppers turned into only 4 quarts of pickles, but it will be well worth the effort when we enjoy them all winter.  And those 8 little pepper plants are loaded with little peppers and blossoms again.  I'm hoping to get at least 8 more quarts before the plants poop out.
Green beans are going gang-busters!  We had quite a few jars left from last years harvest, so I'm not going to kill myself canning tons of beans this year and will consentrate on other things we are out of, like tomatoes.  It was a nice surprise to get my glorious green beans mentioned in my brother's blog yesterday though.

And our cabbage deserves a blog all it's own!  We harvested 103.5 pounds of cabbage on Sunday.  I spend most of the day Monday shredding cabbage for kraut and kimche by hand.  Seven hours later....six gallons of kraut, the real kind in crocks with active bacteria, in all it's sour-salty goodness, and a gallon of my version of kimche with two heads of garlic and killer jalepenos. 
On a different note, I'm working on some new things for my etsy shop.  I've got a couple of pillows, some scarves and a fall purse in the works.  I'm contemplating a couple new skeins of yarn as well.  Also, I got my first custom order this week, for  a  wedding. Thrilled that someone would include me in a small way on their special day.  And  both my spider purse and my fish purse where picked as featured items in Etsy treasuries last week.
Here Fishy Fishy

My To-Do list is growing and the days are getting shorter already.  Loving every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment