Saturday, October 9, 2010

Friends at the Farmers' Market

Fall!  My favorite time of year.  The last of the delicious garden goodness is coming in, the apples and pumpkins are in full swing, and that lovely autumn chill makes me want to eat donuts and drink apple cider.  This week we tried something new, selling some of our harvest at the farmers' market. 

I spent the week canning my secret spiced apple sauce, unsweeted apple sauce, and apple butter.  I also baked some pumpkin chocolate chip muffins that were not only a hit with customers, but with Keith too! 
I brought along some of our bumper crop of sugar pie pumpkins as well.

We had a wonderful day, and sales were brisk.  I'm hoping to add pumpkin rolls and hot pepper jelly for next Saturday.  If I have time, I might bake bread too.  Since I enjoy canning, and we will eat the whatever doesn't sell, it's a great way to spend a Saturday.

It's a great way to spend the day especially when there are so many great people at the market.  Our neighbor today was our actual neighbor, Raynell from Crackling Pine Farm across the field on top of the hill.  And so many people we know stopped by our table to visit. 

That autumn chill was extra chilly this morning!  A cup of hot chocolate helped get me through until the sun warmed things up.  Next week I'm bringing a blanket!  Brr!  Poor hubby hid in the truck and slept.  He is not an early bird, and he is always cold.  He won't tell, but I think the other reason he hid out in the truck was so he could read my new copy of "Country Woman Magazine."  It isn't manly enough to read in public.  But he had better not have done the crosswords or there will be an ugly scene!
I'm definitely looking forward to all the preparation this week and another fun day next Saturday  We are already dreaming of Spring and a full seaons at the market next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment